Accidents involving semi-trucks can be devastating, as they typically result in serious injuries, property damage, and even death. This means the stakes are high, which is why victims of a trucking accident need the help of a truck accident lawyer. If you or a loved one has been affected by a trucking accident in Texas, the Law Office of Richard Schechter, P.C. may be able to help.
Richard Schechter is an 18-wheeler accident attorney with more than 30 years of experience handling claims involving injuries and deaths caused by 18-wheelers in and around Houston and the state of Texas. We know the most common causes of trucking accidents and how to develop trucking cases.
From accident reconstruction to vehicle maintenance to dynamics and loading issues, we understand the range of federal and state regulations that govern the operation of semi-trucks.
Common Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents
We can detect when issues like the following may have contributed to the cause of the crash:
- Operator error: This can be caused by speeding, use of inappropriate medication, and/or failure to maintain a proper lookout.
- Driver fatigue: Though federal regulations impose sleeping guidelines, drivers do not always follow them.
- Tire failure: This can result from on-road incidents or failure to adhere to the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) regulations.
- Unrealistic delivery schedules: Trucking companies make more money when they can deliver more goods quickly. This fact can result in the dangerous incentives to transfer cargo at unrealistic, unsafe rates.
- Improper loading: This usually involves a breach of the FMCSA’s Cargo Securement Rules. Sometimes drivers are not trained to load properly, or they simply neglect their duty, failing to secure cargo with tie-downs, wedges, cradles, etc. An overloading issue might even be discovered.
- Rollovers: Many factors can contribute to a rollover, such as speeding in a curve, weight distribution and balance, and road conditions.
- Falsification of driving logs: This occurs when a driver records inaccurate information regarding duties, activities, and required breaks/sleep time.
- Negligent hiring of drivers: This concerns the eligibility, certification, and training of the driver.
- Failure to maintain the vehicle: This can also result from not adhering to the FMCSA’s standards. However, even these laws can fail to hold trucking companies accountable in updating to the latest safety technologies.
- Unsafe driving techniques: This can involve negligence like driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and even driving too quickly during inclement weather.
Get Help from a Houston Truck Accident Attorney Now
The Law Office of Richard Schechter, P.C. encourages you to contact us immediately after a crash. You can safely assume the trucking company is already investigating the collision and researching how to pay you as little as possible.
The discovery phase can be a lengthy process, so it’s important to begin as soon as possible. We’ll collect your medical expenses, wages lost, police records, interview material, witness statements, and driver/company background information. Both sides will then have time to review the facts presented, and settlement offers may be exchanged. If an agreement can’t be reached, your case may be mediated and possibly move to trial.
18-wheeler claims can be extremely challenging to win in court, but when you choose Richard Schechter, a truck accident attorney Houston knows and respects, you will be taking a step in the right direction.
The Truck Accident Lawyer Houston Counts On
When you’re involved in a trucking accident, your injuries can be life-altering. You may require lifelong medical assistance or around-the-clock care. You can be prevented from returning to work. Overall, you may find you are no longer able to enjoy your life in the manner you were accustomed to before the 18-wheeler crash. That’s why you’ll want an experienced semi-truck accident lawyer to stand up for you.
The firm’s team has the skills and experience necessary to evaluate vehicle damage, interview witnesses, review police reports, and retain experts who can help investigate and establish the cause of the trucking accident. We understand you need to be able to rely on an 18-wheeler accident law firm who can take the burden off your shoulders, so you can focus on recovering from the accident. That’s why we encourage you to let us handle the details. We’ll work to determine who has liability for the trucking accident along with the type of damages that should be pursued on your behalf.
When you file a truck accident lawsuit, we will work to hold the guilty party responsible and ensure you get the financial compensation that you require in order to move on. Though many trucking accident cases don’t go to trial, the Law Office of Richard Schechter, P.C. prepares as if they will. These cases can become time-consuming and expensive, so you’ll want and need an experienced Houston 18-wheeler accident lawyer. If your case goes to court, Richard Schechter, an 18-wheeler accident attorney Houston counts on, will be there to fight for you and ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Your Texas Truck Accident Attorney Is Richard Schechter
If you’ve been a victim of a trucking accident and are searching for a Texas 18-wheeler accident lawyer with a vast knowledge of the law, as well as years of experience in the courtroom, please consider the Law Office of Richard Schechter, P.C.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with the truck accident attorney Texas knows and trusts.